- The fastest and simplest way: right-click on a file, select "Open With..." and choose a portable program, but you'll have to do this on every computer and every file association.
- Some programs have a built-in associations manager that you can enable, but must be done on every computer. XNViewMP for example has a program called "Associate files with XnViewMP.exe" while XMind has "Associate_XMind_File.bat"
- Programs like CAFE/Coffee (and others) have appeared to try and address this integration question but generally require some energy to enable.
- When I double click on a .TXT file, I want it to open in my favorite text editor
- Assigning File Types to Portable Application
- How to Make Portable Applications the Default File Handler in Windows 8 (speaks specifically to PortableApps and eXpresso users)