Wednesday, June 22, 2016

Path portability when setting file associations (LibreOffice Portable)

Issue: 

I ran LibreOffice on a Win7x64 machine and did a manual association of .ODT files with it (the "Open with ..." operation).  Then, when the LibreOffice folder moved, I couldn't re-set the file association.

Resolution:

Open regedit and delete the entire .odt key: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.odt

(solution source)

---

More background:

I had OpenOffice installed, opening ODT files by default.  In an effort to fix a problem with OpenOffice quickly, I downloaded the "LibreOffice Still" Portable version to my Downloads folder and set it as the default viewer.  I later moved it to another folder (where all my other portable applications are located) and just couldn't fix the old association.

Related:

More on LibreOffice "Still"

No comments:

Post a Comment